Thursday, October 30, 2008

Laut Reviewed

Last Monday a few coworkers and I tried out Laut for lunch. I guess I’ve been on an ethnic food kick the last two weeks with the curry and Moroccan chicken posts. But today I decided to go with a Malaysian/Thai post. Wikipedia says that Malaysian cuisine reflects the multi-racial aspects of Malaysia. Various ethnic groups in Malaysia have their dishes but many dishes in Malaysia are derived from multiple ethnic influences. I probably wouldn’t have seen Laut if it weren’t for a previous trip to Cafe Medina, since they are on the same street. But because of how packed the restaurant was that day and the fact that the menu looked fabulous, I had to go back and try it out.

Laut has a variety of lunch specials priced at around $12 though doesn’t include any appetizer, drink, or dessert, which was a little disappointing. I ordered the Sambal Dish which consisted of beef, okra, eggplant, string beans, bell peppers, and onions in a spicy chilli shrimp paste sauce. My coworkers all ordered the Pineapple Fried Rice with chicken, pepper, green pea, carrot, egg, and onion in a mixed spice sauce. Although I didn’t try the rice dish, mine appeared to be more hearty and delicious. The mixture of vegetables added more depth to the dish, though it wasn’t as spicy as I’d hoped. So being that I love condiments, I added some of their hot sauce to it.

Overall I thought the food was very tasty and would be more likely return for dinner so I could try a few other items on the menu. I recommend trying this restaurant out if you’re in the neighborhood.

Laut

15 E 17th Street (between Bway & 5th)

Sambal Dish with Brown Rice

Sambal Dish with Brown Rice

Pineapple Fried Rice

Pineapple Fried Rice

0 comments: