Friday, October 24, 2008

A Closer Look at Atlantic Grill

Atlantic Grill has been an Upper East side staple for quite some time. This BR Guest Restaurant is noted for its fantastic seafood, sushi, and raw bar. It was most recently voted one of the 50 most popular restaurants in New York in the 2008 Zagat. Given its rave reviews and status, I figured it would be the perfect place to celebrate my mom’s birthday.

Similar to its other BR Guest counterparts, Atlantic Grill’s decor though crowded and noisy was beautifully lit and very charming. I recall celebrating many joyous occasions at my favorite of the 12 restaurant chains, Blue Water Grill, though the feeling I had upon entering this restaurant was unlike one I’d ever had.

Our party of 5 was seated at a round table with a semi circle booth and two chairs. We commenced our dining experience with a toast of blue moon, chardonay, pinot grigio, and shiraz. Everyone seemed to enjoy what they were drinking. We started the night off with a few appetizers which included the Atlantic’s Chopped Salad, a Shrimp & Lobster Spring Roll, and a Maryland Crabcake which were all the highlight off the night.

For our main courses we tried the Horseradish Crusted Scottish Salmon, the Simply Grilled Tuna with sauteed Spinach, two Pan Seared Salmon Dishes (one with mixed Vegetables and another with butternut squash ravioli and brussel sprouts), and a Crab Crusted Golden Snapper. Before beginning my dish I was already filled with disappointed because I was informed that the special, a Pan Seared Salmon with sweet potato gnocchi and brussel sprouts in a cider reduction had already sold out! But in spite of that, I still was less than thrilled with my dish. The salmon was only gently seared and lacked that golden crispy crust one would expect of a seared fish. I had also requested the salmon to be cooked medium and it appeared to be well done. And though the accompanying sides were delicious, there were very few of them. I also happened to try a bit of my sister’s spinach and did not think even that was sufficient. The texture was quite leafy where as I am used to something a bit smoother and less dry.

But even with my sub-par meal, with the exception of the appetizers, the guest of honor was more than pleased with hers and that was most important. The night was fabulous despite it all and we ended of course with my mom’s favorite Crumb’s Carrot Cake Cupcakes!

0 comments: