Thursday, February 5, 2009

Spinach Artichoke Dip, The Perfect Game Day Snack

Superbowl Sunday is just another reason to extend the weekend by throwing a party and enjoying some good eats. And I was doing exactly that at my friend Rob's this past weekend. I have to admit, I spent a few days contemplating what to bring. Since it would be rare for me to bring something NOT homemade, I knew I'd need to step it up. And as soon as I received Saveur's Sunday Supper newsletter featuring their Spinach-And-Artichoke Dip, I immediately decided on my game day contribution.



Spinach Artichoke Dip is not an easy dip to make. And the simple reason being, EXPECTATION. Sure, how bad could a mix of any ol' cheese, mayo, spinach, artichokes, and sour cream be? But, if you've ever had the pleasure of tasting Houston's infamous Spinach and Artichoke dip, the bar has already been set.




Admittedly, Saveur's Spinach-and-Artichoke dip recipe seemed pretty easy. It called for accessible ingredients and there wasn't much prep time involved. But as you all know, it's not always what you put in your dish, but the quantity and quality of what you're putting in it that matters. And after tasting Saveur's version, this adage proved to be true.

Depending on your preference you might LOVE Saveur's dip, but I prefer the creamier alternative. Saveur calls for equal parts sour cream, mayo, and cream cheese which is probably the first thing i would alter. Aside from using their lower fat counterparts, I'd probably start by increasing the amounts of sour cream and mayo to 1/2 cups (rather than 1/3 cups). I would also decrease the amount parmesan to 1/2 cup, leaving 1/4 cup or less for the top crust. And I would most likely subsititute the mozzarella for something with a little more flavor either a smoked mozzarella or a gouda, which would give the dip a deep rich flavor. I'd also add in 1/4 tsp or more of cayenne pepper and even another 1/4 tsp of chilli or adobo powder to give it a slight kick (though it WILL NOT taste too spicy).

Follow my alternative Spinach and Artichoke recipe and you'll WOW your guests at your next football gathering. But, if you like to go by the book, stick to Saveur's version, but be sure to use frozen spinach, canned artichokes, and LESS parmesan cheese! Or, if you prefer a guaranteed game day dish, serve up some classic pigs n blankets. My friend Lindsay Trust was kind enough to whip up a homemade batch of these in no time. And two plates were literally gone in 30 minutes! Her homemade version is far superior to the premade frozen brands because she wraps these mini Hebrew Nationals in the sweet and savory Grand's biscuits.
I hope these recipes and tips have helped you prepare for your next gathering!

0 comments: