Thursday, January 8, 2009

A 2009 In Moderation?

Between hearing about the daily weight loss success stories on every morning news program, the ever depressing economy, and the premier of the GREATEST Biggest Loser yet I have to wonder if I will be living my 2009 in moderation. My immediate thought is that I not only won't but cannot live in moderation, though my bank account might be telling me something else...

I started to believe in the theory that less is more and not only by way of eating but living life. And less doesn't necessarily mean we have to sacrifice certain things we love but maybe just look at them differently. I believe it's all about the way you perceive what you're eating, or doing for that matter; the whole glass half empty, half full thing.

Ironically, cooking Penang Curry initiated my thoughts on moderation. Penang Curry is probably best left to the professionals, but since I'd already had most of the ingredients in my kitchen, I decided to try my hand at it. And, as you'd probably guessed, from now on I'll be leaving the curries to some of Murray Hill's finest Indian & Asian establishments. In any case, that is when I realized, that maybe simpler sometimes is better. I probably would have enjoyed a fresh piece of salmon seared with some herbs just as much if not more than the fancy curry.

As a fellow cook, I love trying more intricate recipes. Sometimes, the more ingredients the better; the challenge being my ultimate drive for testing out the recipe. But my resolution for 2009 is to keep it simple. Over the year I have collected an assortment of spices, canned goods, dried pastas, boxed cake batter, along with who knows what else. And my goal is to take what I have an enhance it with simple flavors and ingredients.

One chef who has inspired me to instill this moderation or simplicity is Jamie Oliver. This light hearted and fantastic chef not only cooks up delicious and diverse meals but also inspires everyone he meets with his philanthropic undertakings. Ironically enough Jamie does anything but keep it simple outside of the kitchen. He has his hands in everything from cookbooks to restaurants to healthy eating initiatives.

So if you're looking to simplify your diet in 2009 i'd recommend Jamie Oliver's Cook with Jamie and New York Time's Mark Bittman's new book How to Cook Everything and Food Matters.

Good luck with your 2009 resolutions and here's to simplicity!

0 comments: