Tuesday, November 25, 2008

BONDST: Still Hot or "So 8 Years Ago"?

Although the infamous BONDST has been on my radar for years, last week was the first time I had ever been. I’d heard so many things about BONDST that I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. Friends had told me that the rock shrimp was to die for and how sheik the lounge was, and how I should keep my eye out for celebrities. And then I read a review on Menupages that had actually been titled “So 8 Years Ago”. Apparently not EVERYONE thought this place was up to snuff.

My head was spinning with expectations. The only thing I was concerned with was the food, so I took a peak at the menu, in advance, and was delighted with the variety of appetizers, main courses, and sushi that adorned the menu.

When I’d finally stepped in the infamous BONDST last Tuesday night, I was taken aback. The restaurant was filled with a mix trendy, carefree 20 and 30 somethings enjoying drinks or dinner which seemed to be their usual. As we made our way to the second floor, I was relieved to see that it was a bit quieter and less crowded. We were immediately seated and greeted by our waiter.

After giving the wine menu a once over we decided to order a bottle of sake and some Sapporos. We began our meal with some complimentary edamame and sipped our sake as we contemplated what to order. I was so content that I decided to let my date do the majority of the ordering, as he was quite familiar with the menu. We finally ordered the following dishes:

Edamame

Edamame

Seaweed Salad

Seaweed Salad, orange sesame dressing

Toro Tar Tar

Toro Tar Tar, japanese mustard, sansho pepper seasoning

Lobster Tempura

Lobster Tempura, creamy japanese mustard dressing

Nasu Dengaku

Nasu Dengaku; grilled japanese eggplant, sweet miso sauce

Spicy Yellowtail Roll, red pepper sour miso

Spicy Yellowtail Roll, red pepper sour miso & Spicy Caviar

Sesame Crusted Shrimp Roll, orange curry dressing & reduced balsamic vinegar

Sesame Crusted Shrimp Roll, orange curry dressing & reduced balsamic vinegar

)

Me eating sushi : )

Shrimp Special

Shrimp Special

My favorite dishes of the night were the lobster tempura and the special shrimp appetizer. I’m not quite sure what was the shrimp appetizer but it was delicious. The shrimp were crisp on the outside, while perfectly tender on the inside and gently covered in a savory sauce. The lobster tempura was hands down the best tempura I have EVER eaten. The japanese mustard dressing and the mixed greens were a perfect pairing. The Nasu Dengaku, or grilled eggplant was also perfect crisp on the outside incredibly flavorful. The seared shrimp roll was also a very interesting dish. The texture of the tempura flakes with the red pepper sour miso gave a slight curry flavor which was surprising and delightful. Although BONDST is known for their sushi, I must admit that what we ordered tasted slightly fishy. The Toro Tar Tar, the Spicy Yellowtail Roll, and the Spicy Caviar were all a little off. I would recommend going for sushi later in the week, which is probably when a fresh shipment of fish arrives.

Though there were no celebrity sightings that night, the food and ambiance exceeded my expectations and made for a fantastic evening. I definitely think this place is still hot and especially for date night! The only thing I regret about my experience at BONDST was ordering a second bottle of sake.

BONDST

6 Bond St.

New York, Miami, Beverly Hills

0 comments: